Have you ever wondered how a good working experience should be formed? As young people, especially for us new graduates, work experience is certainly needed. Companies tend to look for candidates who not only have good academic qualifications but also have work experience that is suitable for the company’s needs. There are many ways we can gain work experience and increase our chances of getting the job we want. AIESEC has many opportunities that are aimed at escalating your professional experience. Let’s check out our website for more information!
Some Challenges Can Happened When You Start Working!
Starting your first job can sometimes feel difficult for some people. That’s why having previous work experience can be very helpful. Some challenges that may occur when starting a job are:
- Adapting to a new work environment. Fresh graduates may find it challenging to adapt to a new work environment, which can be different from their college or university environment. They may need to learn new rules, procedures, and ways of doing things.
- Meeting performance expectations. There may be pressure to meet performance expectations right away, which can be overwhelming for some new graduates. It’s important to communicate with supervisors and ask for feedback and guidance to help meet these expectations.
- Building relationships with coworkers. It may take time to build relationships with coworkers and feel comfortable working with them. New graduates should be proactive in getting to know their colleagues and joining in on social activities to build these relationships.
- Managing work-life balance. Balancing work with personal life and outside responsibilities can be a challenge for new graduates who are used to more flexible schedules in college. It’s important to set boundaries and prioritize tasks to avoid burnout.
- Learning new skills. Starting a new job may require new skills that were not taught in college. It’s important to be open to learning new skills and asking for help when needed.
- Dealing with rejection and failure. New graduates may face rejection and failure in their new jobs, which can be discouraging. It’s important to have a growth mindset and view these experiences as opportunities to learn and improve.
- Establishing a career path. It can be challenging for new graduates to figure out their career path and what they want to do long term. It’s important to explore different career paths and take advantage of opportunities to gain experience and discover their passions.
5 Ways to Prepare your Working Experience!
- Seek internship opportunity. Before graduating, it’s a good idea to seek internships or part-time work in your field of interest. This can help you gain practical experience, learn new skills, and make connections with professionals in your industry. At AIESEC, the Global Talent Program is available and may be the ideal option for pursuing international internships. Global Talent is an internship experience for young people aiming towards professional career development in a global setting.
- Develop your soft skills. Soft skills such as communication, teamwork, and time management are essential in the workplace. You can develop these skills by participating in extracurricular activities, volunteering, or taking on leadership roles.
- Networking. Building a professional network can help you learn about job opportunities, gain insights into your field, and meet potential mentors. Attend industry events, join professional organizations, and connect with alumni and professionals on LinkedIn.
- Research your field. Stay up-to-date on industry trends, technologies, and best practices by reading industry publications, attending webinars, and seeking out mentorship opportunities.
- Develop a strong online presence. Many employers will look at your online presence when considering you for a job. Make sure your social media accounts are professional and appropriate and consider creating a LinkedIn profile to showcase your skills, experience, and education.
In today’s competitive job market, it’s important to prepare for working experience in order to stand out to potential employers. By seeking internships or part-time work, developing your soft skills, networking, researching your field, and developing a strong online presence, you can gain practical experience, learn new skills, make connections, stay up-to-date on industry trends, and showcase your skills and experience to potential employers.
It’s also important to keep in mind that preparing for working experience is an ongoing process. Continuously seeking out new opportunities to learn and grow, staying up-to-date on industry trends, and developing new skills can help you succeed in your career and achieve your goals. Remember, everyone’s journey is different, and there’s no one “right” way to prepare for a working experience. But by taking proactive steps to develop your skills and gain experience, you can set yourself up for success in your career.
AIESEC provides many opportunities that allow us to gain many benefits in work experience. Besides the Global Talent program, there are still many other programs, such as Global Volunteer and Global Teacher! You can check out our website for more complete information.3